Monday 23 March 2020

Year 1 Monday 23rd March 2020


Good Morning everyone!

It looks set to be a beautiful day today -  I hope you get the chance to enjoy some sunshine.

For many of you it may be the first day home schooling your child and it is bound to be an adjustment for all of you.

Please take a look at our virtual school.  You can access this via the  Prince of Wales website  and then by clicking on the Virtual school microsite. There is a schedule of activities for you to work through, although as Mr Spracklen's recent letter outlined we do not want you to feel that you must stick to a rigid timetable if it is not right for you and your child at this time.

Everyday there will be a new schedule of activities for you to follow. I recommend the live broadcasts as a great way for your child to connect to the school community. The live broadcasts are at 9.30am for Good Morning POW; 11.20am for Assembly and normally 4pm for Today at POW. You can access these via facebook or the Prince of Wales YouTube channel. Again please don't feel obliged to tune into every broadcast every time.

I am a parent and a teacher and have taught both of my children in school. I hope it is reassuring for you to know that my children behave completely differently for me at home than they do at school - and rightly so!

I know how challenging it can be to encourage your child to work at home when they are used to home being a place of play and relaxation. With this in mind, in addition to the virtual daily learning programme I will also share ideas for you on this blog to do with your child. These will be designed specifically for year 1 and for those moments when the virtual schedule may not be suitable.

As it is almost lunchtime as I blog this, I'll keep my first suggestions quite brief:

Science activity - Signs of Spring
Can you look outside or go into the garden and spot signs of Spring?
Your child could:
- draw pictures of evidence of Spring.
- choose a tree or plant that you can take a photograph of every week to show how it changes over time.
- create a scavenger hunt for a parent or sibling to find signs of spring.
- create a spring collage, painting or drawing.   

Maths activity - Numberblocks
If you are not familiar with Cbeebies Numberblocks then do check it out on the BBC iplayer. This cartoon is educational and fun and is a great way for your child to learn about number bonds. Perhaps after watching an episode your child could explain what they learnt and recreate it with any blocks or counters you may have at home.

I hope you have a lovely afternoon and I will blog later with some activities for tomorrow.

Take care and please get in touch if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Ms Browne   
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment